Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Material Studies

Our set task was to explore a material of our choice and 'create' garments out of it.

I chose puff pastry...

My reason being, that the pastry goes through different forms from the dough - to the 'pastry'. I wanted to chose a material that i could 'see' a difference in.

My garment of choice was a bustier.

Not sure why i chose that garment, but without any 'plan' i began to lay down the 'pieces'. What i found interesting was that the material began to dictate my pattern. I found myself, not just making a bustier, but more so making a pie. The trims began to replicate the kind used in piemaking.
The material and it's 'conventional' use, started to influence my original intentions for it.


When the bustier/pie was placed in the oven, the pastry began to puff. When it did, it brought to attention that my use of the puff pastry and my garment had something in common. The bustier is a garment used to 'accentuate' a woman's curvaceousness, and before my eyes the pastry was becoming 'voluptuous'.

(putting the 'art' in 'tart' - right?)

Wearing the pie/bustier was a little confrontational - mostly for reasons of self-awareness, or rather 'esteem'. But whilst drawing parallels, and asking questions about 'does this qualify as a garment' - it was the confrontation that felt like the most relevant matter in question.

Of course, the answer is obvious, and most people, when asked will assert that 'clothes' are worn by 'most' as a means for comfort - to protect ourselves from elements, from nudity, from ourselves...

BUT what if you are part of that group, that has no self-deprecating bone in your body. What if wearing clothes isn't a necessity, and you could spend your days in the nude - the question then is IF IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU, IS IT THEN JUST CONCERN FOR HOW YOU WOULD MAKE OTHERS FEEL?

That's one for me to chew on...

No comments:

Post a Comment